Illinois Conceal Carry Class Payments

Class Options


Public Pension & Law Enforcement Advocate; Law Enforcement News; Officer Down Memorials; Public Corruption News

(contact for details)
ere the TRUTH starts. Public Pension Reform. Law Enforcement News. Officer Down News. Collective Bargaining. Corruption. - See more at:
Where the TRUTH starts. Public Pension Reform. Law Enforcement News. Officer Down News. Collective Bargaining. Corruption. - See more at:

Officer Down

Friday, September 20, 2013

Top cop on park shooting: 'Miracle there has been no fatality'

--Number one, it was NOT a military grade weapon. Please do not use these incidents to drive the Illinois and Chicago anti-gun political agenda.
That being said, this is a travesty of human behavior and steps must be taken to stop these type of incidents.
It is a miracle that no one was killed.
Everyone wants to whine and cry about their 2nd Amendment rights but no one wants to see laws put in place to try and curb this type of violence. 
Both sides of the gun argument are HYPOCRITES. Every last one of them.
I am a believer in the 2nd Amendment but I am a believer in protecting the innocent from this senseless violence.
The federal government needs to enact gun laws that make sense and tell the states to step aside. These illegal weapons are obtained through burglaries, thefts, and straw purchases. Just ask the drug dealer that goes to Indiana and buys $38,000.00 in weapons because they do not require background checks. And yes, this is a true statement from the convicted drug dealer himself.
If you commit a crime and it involves an illegal weapon you should be locked up, end of story. No probation, no first time offender niceties. Just go to jail--

Story at Chicago Tribune

By Peter Nickeas and Jeremy Gorner
Tribune reporters
11:43 AM CDT, September 20, 2013

Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said it was a "miracle" no one was killed when someone opened fire with a high-powered rifle at a pick-up basketball game in the Back of the Yards, and he renewed his call for a ban on assault weapons.

"A military-grade weapon on the streets of Chicago is simply unacceptable,"  McCarthy told a news conference this morning, 12 hours after a 3-year-old boy and 12 other people were shot during at Cornell Square Park.

"It's a miracle there has been no fatality," he said. "Illegal guns. Illegal guns. Illegal guns drive violence."

Police say at least one gunman walked up to the park's basketball court in the 1800 block of West 51st Street around 10:15 p.m. Thursday and opened fire. Thirteen people who were on the court or were watching the game were hit, many of them in the arms or legs.

The boy, Deonta Howard, was standing on the court and was shot near the ear, the bullet exiting through his cheek, according to police and relatives. His family said the boy is expected to recover but will need plastic surgery.

Three of those wounded, including Deonta, were in serious to critical condition this morning. The others ranged from serious to good condition, including a 15-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl.

Police believe the shooting stemmed from an ongoing dispute between the Black P. Stones and Gangster Disciples, a law enforcement source said. It was not known if any of the victims were intended targets.

Police said they were questioning several people, but would not say whether any of them were suspects.

"I think it was like an AK," said one neighbor, describing the shooting. "Man, it was a lot of shots. Man, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. A little boy got hit in the face."

Another neighbor said he heard as many as 20 shots. "I was across the park and I heard the shots and I came over and there was a lot of people down. It happened so fast. They were just playing ball, like they do everyday."

The first paramedics found more than a dozen people lying across the rust-colored court. One person lay near a bicycle that was on its side. A pair of white gym shoes were left near an out-of-bounds line.

Ambulances continued to arrive a half hour after the shootings as wounded people were brought out of the park on stretchers. About 60 police officers converged on the park and crime lab investigators combed the scene.

Deonta was taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital, police said. Nunn said her grandson, nicknamed Tay Man, is heavily sedated and will need plastic surgery.

“He tried to get up and go, he’s not trying to be pinned down by nobody,’’ she said.

“He’s not your average 3-year-old," Nunn said. "He’s very smart, he’s beyond his years. I don’t know if you’ve heard the saying, 'He’s an old soul.' That’s the best words to describe him. He’s an old soul.

“He's friendly for the most part, very outgoing, outspoken,’’ Nunn said. “He likes the limelight, he’ll let you know who he is."

The boy's older brother, Jamarrie Toney, 9, returned to the park with his aunt this morning and said he still hasn’t seen his brother.  “I just miss him,’’ he said.

Jamarrie, whose favorite subject at Beethoven Elementary is math, said he was at his aunt’s home across the street when he heard the shots.

”I just got up and ran to this gate,’’ Jamarrie said, pointing to the edge of the park. “My younger brother was on the floor,’’ he said, crying.

One of the other victims, a 37-year-old man shot in the leg, said he hanging out around the basketball court, as he and his friends normally do, when the shooting started.

“I turned around, I heard screaming,’’ he said. “I saw Tay Man." He paused. “I just saw his face.’’ He struggled again for words. "Just tore off. . .They almost shot his whole face off.’’

The man, who asked that his name not be used, smoked a cigarette as he leaned on a cane after being released from the hospital. Medical tape held down a piece of cotton gauze on his left arm, and he was missing the shoe from the leg where he had also been shot.

Asked if he was angry, the man replied, “I’m just grateful, grateful to be alive.’’

Mayra Rodriguez, 23, who lives in the area with her 2-year-old daughter, heard rapid gunfire and then saw people on the ground. “Good thing most of them got hit in the legs,’’ she said.

“That kid was playing, he didn’t even know nothing, it was out of nowhere,’’ she said of the 3-year-old.

Rodriguez said there was a fatal shooting in the park about two years ago, and she tries to avoid it.

Rodriguez and her mother, Elvia Gonzalez, 45, said they had heard gunfire earlier in the evening, around 4:30 p.m. or 5 p.m. Rodriguez said her daughter was playing outside at that time and Gonzalez grabbed the girl and ran inside the house.

As the two talked Thursday night, the 2-year-old girl walked toward the street from the parkway and peered around the corner toward 51st Street to watch the last ambulance leave. She rested one hand on her mother’s leg as she chewed a finger.

Earlier, as her mother spoke, the girl twirled around a light pole. She wore tiny gold hoop earrings, purple pants and a red T-shirt that read, "My heart belongs to Grandpa."

“She don’t even know. . .She’s just pointing at the light,’’ Rodriguez said.

Alejandro Cabada, 20, leaned out of his second-floor window near 50th and Wood streets about an hour after the shooting. He said he’s lived in the area for about seven years.

“Once I opened a beer can, I heard shots,’’ Cabada said. “I opened the fence in the back. They reversed up the alley and then toward Ashland, the car peeled out.’’

“A brown Malibu with tints dipped toward Ashland Avenue. . . A brown Malibu with its lights off was peeling off,’’ Cabada said. “Some young kid said they shot his little brother.

“That was pretty much it, I just seen bodies on the floor, I seen three officers carrying the little boy. I didn’t hear no sounds.’’

Relatives said the boy's uncle, Jerome Wood, was fatally shot in the Woodlawn neighborhood over the Labor Day weekend. The Rev. Corey Brooks, who presided over Wood's funeral, urged the shooter or shooters to surrender or face justice on the streets.

There are people who know exactly who the shooter is," he said, standing next to Nunn. "And I'm sure he will not be safe shooting 13 people."

As dawn broke today, broken glass could be seen strewn across the basketball court, along with discarded medical supplies, syringes without needles, plastic packaging, orange gloves and a bloody T-shirt.

But as of 8:15 a.m., the court had been cleaned up by personnel from Fire Engine 123.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel was headed back to Chicago from Washington, D.C., where he was scheduled to meet today with Obama administration Cabinet secretaries on city issues, mayoral spokeswoman Sarah Hamilton said. Emanuel flew to D.C. last night ahead of swing that also was supposed to include a political fundraiser for Democratic New Jersey U.S. Senate candidate Cory Booker.

Emanuel also released a statement this morning about the Back of the Yards shooting. "Senseless and brazen acts of violence have no place in Chicago and betray all that we stand for. The perpetrators of this crime will be brought to justice and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I encourage everyone in the community to step forward with any information and everyone in Chicago to continue their individual efforts to build stronger communities where violence has no place," the statement reads.

Before Thursday night's shooting, eight children under the age of 8 had been shot in Chicago over seven weeks.
Police listed the victims as:

• A 3-year-old boy, shot in the ear, in critical condition at Mount Sinai

• A 17-year-old girl, shot in the foot, condition stabilized at Holy Cross Hospital

• A 15-year-old boy shot in the arm, stabilized at Holy Cross

• A man, 27, shot in the leg and wrist, serious condition at Mount Sinai

• A man, 24, shot twice in the stomach, serious condition at Mount Sinai

• A man, 21, shot in the leg, serious condition at Mount Sinai

• A man, 41, shot in the buttocks, serious condition at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital

• A woman, 33, shot in the shoulder, condition stabilized at Northwestern Memorial Hospital

• A man, 31, shot in the buttocks, condition stabilized at Northwestern

• A woman, 23, shot in the foot, condition stabilized at St. Anthony Hospital

• A man, 37, shot in the leg, in good condition at Stroger

• A man, 25, shot in the knee, in good condition at Northwestern

• And a man, 33, who drove himself to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park with a gunshot wound to the leg and who was treated and released.

Tribune reporter Liam Ford contributed